Tuesday, March 1, 2016

A super fast bullet list‏

Friends and family,
Okay, I have a lot of things to say in such little time.
Happy leap day!
My birthday went well. We had a family night with a less active family, Irmã Michele. What I didn’t know is that they brought 5 other young men to participate! That’s being a member missionary! One of them went with the family to church!
Speaking of church, there were 80 people there this week! This made me super happy, because when I got here, the ward was in "code red", or in threat of becoming a branch. At its worst, there were 37 people in sacrament meeting. Normally, it was around 50ish. But these last 3 weeks, it was over 70! Many of our less-actives are returning to church.
We also had 4 investigators in sacrament meeting - all of which are well integrated. Dionatan - Daniels nephew, Zenaide - Leilas aunt, Lurdes, and Gustavo - family friend of Michele.
Lurdes is ready for Saturday. She is Rosane's mom. Lurdes was Rosane's referral. (not too much of a surprse, she's her mom) She said "okay, you can pass by there, but just DONT TELL HER I SENT YOU!" So we went there, she accepted us in her house, and we taught her about the Book of Mormon. She had a few doubts about it, as she was strictly evangelical/Pentecostal. We emphasized that the Bible supports what the Book of Mormon says, and the Book of Mormon supports the Bible. We left some chapters for her to read in the bible and the Book of Mormon to "prove" this point. Mathew 3, 2 Nephi 31, etc. She didn't look like that "golden contact, you know? But surely enough, she got to reading, and soon, gained a testimony of the Book of Mormon. With each visit, she warmed up to the idea of going to church, being baptized, etc.
We had an awesome "pie-in-the-face" activity last Wednesday. Photos galore.
I found out who will be our new Mission President. Presidente Louza - from Sao Paulo. He has been in the church educational system for some time, so I’m sure that his talks, trainings, and sermons will be awesome. We will meet him in June, it looks like.
We saw an opossum the other day. That’s no too crazy for yall, but here in Brazil, opossums, raccoons, and squirrels are all super rare.
There’s a custom here in the south that the people keep a Bible open to Psalms on their mantle. It’s kind of funny, because when we bring it up, they always say "a closed bible isn’t worth anything" "Ah. So yall read the bible?" "No, not really."
Also, on my birthday, Sister de Oliveira made a cake for me. :) It was pretty good. She said it was the first cake she ever made, so it’s a good first.
So sorry or the lack of description.
But. I love yall. I’m super happy.
Com Amor,
Elder Wassom

Alright. So there's a lot of pie in the face pics. The others include the family night with Michele, the wedding of Taiana and Everton, (they asked me to sing at their wedding, so I did. I know it may not be the typical proselyting activity, but I thought it would be a good missionary moment, because there were a lot of less-actives and non-members) and us with Carlos Miguel, who is taking off to the military.

No comments:

Post a Comment