Monday, June 22, 2015

It is Cold.

Dear Family and Friends,
It is cold. We're waking up near freezing point everyday now. 6:29 AM has just gotten harder to get out of bed.
So Marrone and Diessica are just awesome. (I learned that it is spelled as with a Di instead of a J. Makes sense because it sounds like how an American would say Jessica) Marrone asked for Diessica's hand in marriage yesterday, and she accepted. We begin the ugly legal process on Wednesday. I really don’t like working with the government. It’s bad here too. But learning that I will not be coming home to Blue Bell classic vanilla ice cream in October 2016 is unacceptably devastating, and I detest that movement. Who cares if some people got sick: they died happy.
But anyways, they are just awesome.
On Thursday, we talked about his earring and her nose ring. I was a little nervous, because I knew they really liked their respective piercings. But as I told them it wasn’t ordained by God, they, without hesitation, removed them without saying a word. We began to commence the process of promising blessings from their faith that they were showing, and he just said "Calm down, it’s just an earring." And then they fed us dinner.
I love that family so much. I can see them being leaders in the church. There’s nothing holding them back. Tithing? No problem. Word of Wisdom? Time to throw out the Coffee. Chastity? Let’s get married. They have not yet failed to complete a single commitment nor assignment. They are there waiting for us at every visit, and show up every Sunday to church.
This is what missionaries call the elect of God.
We had our June-fest on Saturday. That was pretty fun.
Blake - I’m gonna call you out on this one. I had a dream that you were firing up your résumé for a few jobs, and I noticed you were sending some résumés for some Musical Theatre companies. I looked at your résumé, and it had some serious pictures of you looking off in the distance, and said: "Blake Wassom - Meet the very man who starred as "Harvey Johnson" in MNHS' Legendary 2007 production of Bye-Bye Birdie." I woke up laughing.
Gotta Go. Love yall
Com Amor,
Elder Wassom

Challenge‏:
This morning, I finished reading the Book of Mormon Cover-to-cover in Portuguese for the first time. As I finished, I pondered quite a bit over what a fantastic book the Book of Mormon is. Reading it daily has been one of my favorite privileges I have as a missionary. I get to see myself grow closer to the Savior, and also get to use what I learned to teach the people. It’s one of the only books that has a promise that applies to everyone in every circumstance.
Therefore, I, Elder Mitchell Wassom, as a member in God's army, am taking a little bit of the battle on the home front. I make a challenge to everyone - Mormons and Non-Mormons alike, to read the Book of Mormon. Those who accept this challenge, who will be reading it for the first time, email me to let me know that you have accepted the challenge.
As a representative of the Lord and Savior Jesus Christ (I will really miss using that phrase when I no longer am one) I promise each of you that reading this book will bring you to know your Savior better. It will bring you to understand more of who you are and why you are here. You will come to a knowledge that it is true. It was written by ancient prophets that lived here on the American Continent. As you receive a confirmation of the truthfulness of this book, you will know that the heavens are open again, and God still speaks to his children today.
Please read it. And as you read, pray about it. Find out for yourself. That's all any missionary can ask you to do. Ask any local member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints for a copy, and they’ll get you one within a week.

“No wicked man could write such a book as this; and no good man would write it, unless it were true and he were commanded of God to do so.” Elder Jeffery R. Holland Oct 2009, quoting George Q. Cannon

Pictures: It's really Cold. We had our "festa Juinina" as a ward.

No comments:

Post a Comment