Monday, July 4, 2016

Happy 4th of July!

Dear Family and Friends,
I was reminded that today is Independence day when the Brasilian National Anthem started playing on our "Clean-the-house" playlist. How unpatriotic of me, I know. Phew. So some of you are dying to know if I met Presidente and Sister Lousa. Not yet, just over the telephone. They seem really loving and cool. Tomorrow, we will travel to Santana do Livramento to meet them in a small bi-zone meeting. I am excited 1) because we will meet the Mission President and do interviews, and 2) because we will get to walk to Uruguay! The border between Brazil and Argentina is a little strict, and thus I couldn’t go to Argentina when I was in Uruguaiana. But Uruguay and Brazil are super chill. You can just wander on one side or the other without a passport or anything! That’ll be cool.
I'll be honest, I’ve been in more spiritual testimony meetings than yesterday's. Yesterday, a man in our branch said "I know the Word of Wisdom is a commandment of God. There are a lot of fat women in our branch. You women will have to go on a diet to keep the word of wisdom. My wife is really fat. That’s why she's sick and can’t be here today." Let’s just say that didn’t go over so well, haha.
On Friday, I finished the Book of Mormon again. I love that book so much. Every time I give a copy of the Book of Mormon to someone, I always tell them something like "I just want you to know that this book is very special to me. Conjoined with the Bible, this book has helped me know more about and draw closer to Jesus Christ. I hope you take care of it, and read it every day. I promise your love and understanding for your Savior will grow." The same promise I make to yall. You’ve heard me say it before. Study and ponder the words of the scriptures daily. That’s a necessity for us to have a testimony.
This weekend, I have been having a scripture study about the word "Remember." I don’t have even close to the amount of time to relate to yall all that I’ve learned. One of my favorite things I’ve learned is from Elder D. Todd Christofferson in his "Mormon Messages" about "Our daily bread" Hey, what a powerful message those 3 videos contain! Look it up!
YouTube -> Mormon Channel -> Our Daily Bread
At least I think it’s called "Our daily bread", as it is "Nosso Pão de Cada Dia" in Portuguese. I'll give you a sneak peek. In one of the videos, he talks about Manna, the "bread" that God sent the Israelites in the wilderness. The bible says that they HAD to gather just enough food for 1 day (except Friday, where they gathered enough to last them through the Jewish Sabbath). This was to remind them daily of God's blessings toward them. This was also to test their faith that, yes, God would provide for them on the day following. Simple. But powerful.
A recent reactivated member of the church said two very profound statements yesterday that I’d like to share with yall to conclude my weekly letter. "Those who don't have the desire to keep the commandments will find an excuse to not keep them. Those who have the desire to keep the commandments will find a way to keep them." "It’s impossible to not believe in the restored gospel while God provides so many chances for us to live it."
I love you all. Thanks for all the love.
Com Amor,
Elder Wassom

I bought a new reader! Here are some new pictures:
1.) when you don’t have milk to make pancakes, use yogurt!

2) Xis in Rosário

3) Elder Wassom and his spiffy cheap suit

4) My companion sent his pants in to get hemmed by irmã hilda. Then irmã hilda sent his pants to the Sisters o give to my companion. Just that Sister Condeña had the wise idea to stitch in a pink flower on the rear before giving it to my comp.

No comments:

Post a Comment